Behind The Brand: Vapour Beauty

Once upon a time in the remote town of Taos, deep in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, New Mexico… An experienced product design team were working to produce unique cosmetic formulations that would help change the face of organic make-up.


For years product formulator Kristine Keheley and Vapour Organics owner and botanical expert Krysia Boinis had worked together to create a range of natural, plant based products.

The desire to create a cosmetics range that was healthy for women and the environment alike came about following Boinis’ own battle with breast cancer, with which she was diagnosed in her 30’s. The disease reinforced her belief in the importance of using clean products and the range was formulated to be safe and suitable for those undergoing cancer treatment.

In an effort to support research into the prevention of breast cancer, 100% of proceeds from the sales of HONOR Elixir Plumping Gloss are donated to research at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute (where Boinis was treated) where they are working towards the first breast cancer vaccine.

Enter Eric Sakas, an industry respected Make-up Artist and Consultant who had previously managed the Kevyn Aucoin Beauty line and worked as colour cosmetics developer for Philosophy. On the lookout for for the next “Big Thing” in cosmetics, Eric was shown a sample of the Vapour foundation and was so impressed that he immediately contacted Kristine to discuss the products further and from there, became a partner in the company.

Sakas’ cosmetic development experience and the creative skills of Boinis and Keheley have proved to be a winning combination and Vapour is now widely sold in the US with additonal stockists in Canada, the UK and Australia.

Completely chemical free, the Vapour range is certified USDA organic and formulated using a minimum of 70% certified organic ingredients; the remaining 30% of mineral pigments. None of the ingredients (or final products) have been tested on animals and Vapour Beauty is a member of the Leaping Bunny Program.





Unlike so many cosmetics brands, Vapour products are created using a mixture of organic beeswax and botanical oils and extracts and are completely waterless which, as well as taxing the local water table (New Mexico is a predominantly desert state), eliminates the need to include harsh preservatives in the products. The lack of these preservatives does not impact on the life span of the products, the combination of resins and plant extracts used in the range means that they have a similar two year lifespan to conventional (preservative fuelled) products.


In a concerted effort to minimise their environmental footprint and to ensure that they maintain maximum control over all aspects of production, all of Vapour’s products are produced in the US. All of the packaging (both primary and secondary), 99% of which is manufactured on site in Taos; is recyclable with the boxes being produced from managed forest and post-consumer waste in a wind powered plant. Precise records are kept with regards to the manufacturing processes to ensure that the company meet the stringent requirements set out out by the USDA’s organic program

Vapour’s ethics don’t stop at their products either. All employees from management to cleaning crew are offered flexible hours, health care, and a living wage; the factory and offices are wind and solar powered and everything that comes into the facility (paper, card etc ) is recycled via an anhydrous filling system to reduce the amount of landfill.

With such an extensive array of creamy wax or oil based items, you can be sure there are some real standout products in the collection. My favourites have to be the Atmosphere foundations Soft Focus and Luminous, both of which I have written about in previous posts (here and here), Siren Lipstick and Illusionist Concealer but there is so much more – what are your favourites?

One of the best things for me about Vapour is the range of tones available, especially in the foundation and concealer ranges. There are very few natural or organic brands that cater for darker skin tones and as a Make-up Artist it is vital to have access to these products (I’m sure I have ranted about this before!) – thank you Vapour!

Vapour Beauty is available in the UK from Content and Naturisimo.

www.vapourbeauty.com




Images: Vapour Beauty


Back To The TopITweet Me!IPin it!ISubscribe via Email

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*